Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Review: Obsidian

Obsidian - Jennifer Armentrout
Genre - Young Adult Paranormal
Released - December 6, 2011

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring...until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.

Oh. My. Daemon. Move over Dimitri Belikov, I have a new fictional boyfriend! *giggles like a school girl* Right...I'm supposed to be doing a review here.

Obsidian is a brilliant book. I absolutely loved it. I have never read a book about aliens before so this was something different for me. It was very refreshing to get away from the usual vampire, faerie, angel trend and lose myself in something new. Jennifer has re-booted the alien genre for me. Big time.

If I'm going to be completely honest then I have to admit that not a lot happens in this book. A lot of banter takes place between Katy and Daemon as she discovers his secret. But you know what? I really didn't care. I loved the arguments between the two of them because you know what it was leading up to.

The other issue for me was Katy. She hates Daemon, she doesn't hate Daemon. She couldn't make up her mind about what she really wanted. I don't blame her though. Daemon is pretty hot. The supporting characters were great too. I was curious about Dawson so I'm glad there's going to be a prequel explaining exactly what happened with him.

I really think if you love YA Paranormal and are looking for something refreshing then you should pick up Obsidian. You will not be disappointed. Jennifer Armentrout is definitely one of my favourite Young Adult authors at the moment.

Recommended: If you're looking for aliens with a twist, a hot romance and something different.

2 comments:

  1. I loved the banter. I agree that there wasn't a lot of plot happening but I didn't care either. the plot was the banter and their relationship:-)I don't do aliens that much but I so do Daemon! Great review:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's take a moment to swoon over Daemon. I really can't wait for Onyx!

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment! You're awesomesauce!