Monday, May 9, 2011

Author Interview with Jennifer Armentrout

Please welcome the lovely Jennifer Armentrout, author of HALF-BLOOD, the first book in the Covenant series. DAIMON, the prequel to the series, comes out on the May 10 and Jennifer has been kind enough to join me for an interview today.
__________________________________________________________________________

For those unfamiliar with your work, could you tell us a bit about HALF-BLOOD, the first book in the Covenant series?

Sure! Half-Blood takes the Greek demigod myth and changes it around. You're introduced to society that exists hidden within our own.
The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi pure-bloods have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals well, not so much. Half-bloods, like 17 year old Alexandria (Alex) only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures. 
Alex is a bit... spunky. She'd rather risk her life fighting than waste it being what is basically an indentured servant to the Hematoi (pure-bloods). There are several rules that all half-bloods must follow, in their society and at the Covenant. The number #1: Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden.

But Alex does have a problem following the rules, especially the big one. In Half-Blood, Alex has to face keeping her hormones in check (easier said then done when spending time with the pure-blooded Aiden St. Delphi) and face an obligation that horrific consequences. There's a lot of mystery, action, and ... oh yeah, romance in Half-Blood.

Have you always wanted to be a writer?
Most definitely. When I was wee little, I used to write poems on my bedroom walls in permanent marker. I wrote my first novel while I was a middle school. It was probably really bad. I also spent the bulk of algebra writing short stories to entertain friends. And that is why I suck at math. Writing has always been a passion of mine.

Do you have any routines or habits which help you get into the writing zone?
I pretty much make sure I write every day, even if it's only 500 words. I CANNOT write when I'm around people. Music is a great way to get into the writing mood for me. Other than that, I don't think I have any weird writing quirks. Well, I do tend to mouth what I'm writing sometimes and I'm sure that looks odd.

Your novella DAIMON is available as a free e-book download on May 10. What made you want to write a prequel to HALF-BLOOD?
I've always had this part in my head of how Alex got into the situation she's in at the beginning of Half-Blood, which helped me write how she behaves, her reactions and emotions that you see from her. One day I pitched the idea to the publisher about doing a short story and offering it a free e novella, and they loved the idea. I'm glad I got to do it, because I think as a reader you'd understand why Alex is the way she is when you see what she had to go through.

I read in your bio that you enjoy watching zombie movies. What are some of your favourites?
Haha! Man, I do love me some zombies. I really like the old school zombies, the ones that move really slow. You could totally outrun those kinds. You could even stand around and make fun of them before you run. The fast moving ones like from Resident Evil or 28 Days Later are super-scary. I also have a soft spot for the cheesy B movie zombies, too. And the funny ones like Shaun of the Dead. I mean, come on, how can you not love a zombie?

When you’re not busy writing are there any books that you enjoy reading?
I do read a lot of YA novels, but when I'm writing, I cannot read anything that is closely related to the genre that I'm writing. I also read Adult romance mixed with contemporary and paranormal/fantasy. I have an epic sized TBR pile at this moment that includes Meg Cabot, Charlaine Harris. Maggie Stiefvater, and then some. Right now I'm devouring Larissa Ione's adult paranormal romance series. The books are cracking me up.

Do you have any writing advice for aspiring writers?
Two things: Never give up and READ. I know aspiring writers hear that all the time, but that is the best advice anyone can give you.
__________________________________________________________________________
Be sure to pick up DAIMON and find out more about Jennifer's adventures on her site.

4 comments:

  1. NICE INTERVIEW UR DAIMON ROCKS CAN'T WAIT TO READ HALF BLOOD

    ReplyDelete
  2. The download is live at the publisher's website now:
    http://www.site.spencerhillpress.com/Daimon.php
    It's SOOOOO good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome interview! this is so neat! how did you get an author to do an interview for you? Share your secrets :)haha!

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer's so lovely, I only had to ask and she was so accommodating! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment! You're awesomesauce!