Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Review: Moon Spell

Moon Spell - Samantha Young
Genre - Young Adult Paranormal
Released - October 10, 2011

It’s bad enough feeling different among the human crowd, but feeling different among wolves?

No one said returning to her pack would be easy, especially after ten years without them, but seventeen year old Caia Ribeiro is unprepared for the realities of the transition. Raised in a world where kids aren’t scared by bedtime tales of the bogeyman but by the real life threat of enemy supernaturals who might come creeping into their community to kill them in their sleep, Caia is used to the darkness; she’s used to the mystery and the intrigue of the ancient underworld war she’s bound to by chance of birth. What she’s having trouble with are pack members treating her with wary suspicion, the Elders tucking secrets behind their backs, and her young Alpha, Lucien, distracting her with a dangerous attraction from her decision to uncover the truth.

But as the saying goes ‘the truth will out’ and when it does, Caia will only have so long to prepare herself before the war comes pounding on their door threatening to destroy the safe, secret lives of the wolves… and the girl they protect.

I really enjoyed Moon Spell despite the typical YA Paranormal formula it followed. Girl is new in school. Girl has super powers. Girl can do no wrong. Girl has two boys in love with her. I liked it because, for a self-published book, it was written well and I think the author did a great job of hooking you in and making you want to find out what happens next.

I decided to read this book based on the positive reviews of it. Honestly, I'm not that into werewolves or vampires so the premise has to be really good to convince me to read it. I'm glad I gave it a go! The main character, Caia, was intriguing and I was curious to find out what the mystery surrounding her was all about. Lucian was a good love interest but sometimes he seemed a bit overbearing with the whole "fated" thing.

The story about the Lunarmorte was very interesting and I hope we get to see more of it in the series. The bad guy was bad. Very bad. He made me squirm with his sadistic nature. There was also a fantastic twist about the hunter. I did not see that coming at all! Caia's development is also done well. She starts out as a timid character but grows so much and becomes stronger in the end.

Recommended: If you enjoy the paranormal genre with werewolves, magic and romance then this is for you!

8 comments:

  1. I'm not a really big fan of vampires and werewolves either. But this book sounds good. Maybe gonna check it out! :D
    BTW thanks for stopping by my blog! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did enjoy. I must read the second book!

      Delete
  2. You've made the book sound great! Thanks for the review. I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lynda! I love finding self-published gems. :)

      Delete
  3. I like what you had to say about this book. Piques my curiosity. Especially since I'm not so tired of werewolf folklore as I am of other paranormal creatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never really been into the werewolf myth at all, so I'm surprised I enjoyed this.

      Delete
  4. I haven't heard of this one, but it sounds great!

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down!

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment! You're awesomesauce!